We launched this new page on our website in August 2020, during the COVID-19 pandemic, starting with a few initial items. We will endeavour to add to it over the coming months and years.
The Bilson Article
The starting point for any study of St Mary’s is John Bilson’s seminal article published in 1920 in Volume 25 of The Yorkshire Archaeological Journal.
St Mary’s at the V&A
There are a number of artefacts from, and photos of, St Mary’s in the collection of the Victoria and Albert Museum.
The JK Colling drawings
Aspects of St Mary’s feature on numerous sumptuous plates in James K. Colling’s ‘Details of Gothic architecture, measured and drawn from existing examples‘ published in 1851.
The Neaves’ Inventory of the Priests’ Rooms
In 2015 Dr David Neave & Dr Susan Neave completed an inventory of St Mary’s hidden museum, the so-called ‘Priests’ Rooms’.
The Parish Register
Registers – going back to 1561 – of baptisms, births, banns, marriages, burials, excommunications, and more, held at the East Riding Archive.