John Bilson (1856 – 1943) was a leading Yorkshire architect whose buildings include Hymers College, Hull. He was consulting architect to Beverley Minster and to St Mary’s, a building he loved and greatly admired.
A distinguished architectural antiquary, Bilson was awarded a D.Litt. from Durham University for his work on dating the architecture of Durham Cathedral.
His article ‘St Mary’s Church, Beverley‘ which appears on Pages 357-436 of the 1920 edition of the Yorkshire Archaeological Journal is the starting point for any study of the church.
Click this image for a .pdf of the article.
The Yorkshire Archaeological Journal has been published annually by The Yorkshire Archaeological & History Society since 1870. The society has republished every issue of the journal from 1870 to 2010 (vols. 1-82) in digital form on the Internet Archive, where they are freely available to enjoy. Click this image to visit the website of the society, which also includes a link to a list of all articles in vols. 1-82.